Certification of planting material using DNA Barcodes
Certification of bamboo seedlings or planting materials for plantation purposes is a major hurdle that necessitates the need for a precise identification tool to ensure their species' identity. Vegetative characteristics currently practised for the identification of bamboo species express only at a particular stage of development and cannot generally be practised for the identification of nursery seedlings and planting materials. The development of species-specific DNA barcodes can thus serve as a promising tool for the certification of bamboo seedlings/planting materials/mature wood logs.
With financial support from National Bamboo Mission, KFRI has developed DNA barcodes for different bamboo species including priority species which can be helpful for the following
- For farmers: Certification of Planting materials.
- For Nurseries: Identification of species for unknown seed sources.
- For Handicraft/Furniture Industry-Agencies
- Identification of species from culms/ dried culms.
- Species Identification of unknown bamboos.
For certification of bamboo planting materials using DNA Barcodes please contact
Dr. Suma Arun Dev
Forest Genetics and Biotechnology Division
Read papers on Bamboo Certification using DNA Barcodes
- Suma Arun Dev, Sijmol K, Prathibha PS, Sreekumar VB and Muralidharan EM (2020) DNA barcoding as a valuable molecular tool for the certification of planting materials in bamboo. 3 Biotech (Springer) 10: 59.
- Sijimol, K., Suma Arun Dev and Sreekumar, V.B. (2020) DNA barcoding supports existence of morphospecies complex in endemic bamboo genus Ochlandra Thwaites of the Western Ghats, India. Journal of Genetics 99: 68.
- Suma Arun Dev, Sijimol K, Muralidharan EM and Sreekumar VB (2016) DNA barcoding for the certification of planting materials in bamboos. In: National seminar on “Bamboo reserve management and advances in utilization options, Institute of Wood Science and Technology, Bangalore, 23rd – 25th February 2016. Pp20.
- Siji Mol K, Suma Arun Dev and Sreekumar VB (2016) Selection of suitable DNA barcodes for species identification in bamboos. In: Proc. 28th Kerala Science Congress, Extended Abstracts, Calicut University, 28th -30th January 2016, pp 2455-2464.