Dr. AV Raghu
Department of Extension
Dr. AV Raghu has been working in various extension activities, especially by organizing training programs, awareness campaigns, seminars, workshops, farmers’ meetings related to the Bamboo sector. He is also working on the studies on physio-chemical and microstructure properties of special bamboos used in weaving by tribal communities.
Dr.A. V. Raghu joined the Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi, Kerala in December 2010. He has been working in the conservation and biotechnological aspects of medicinal plants and forestry species. He has actively engaged in various extension activities at KFRI, especially by organizing training programmes, awareness campaigns, seminars, workshops, farmers’ meetings, etc. related to bamboo.
Projects and publications associated with Bamboos
- Kanadipaya (special bamboo weaved mat product) - Studies on physio-chemical and microstructure properties of special Bamboo used in weaving by tribal communities in Idukki District, Kerala. Supported by SERB, DST.
- Establishment of Bamboo Bazar. Supported by National Bamboo Mission.
- Assessment of socio-economic and cultural uses and potential for the popularization of Dendrocalamus stocksii and munrochloa ritchei, two bamboo species endemic to the Western Ghats. Supported by KSCSTE Plan Grants.
- BTSG Kerala - Publicity and Extension. Supported by National Bamboo Mission.
- KFRI-KILA Bambusetum. Supported by Kerala Institute of Local Administration
- Raghu, A. V. and Syam Viswanath. 2021. 'Kannadipaya' – the role of geographical indication in brand-making and conservation. Current Science 121 (1): 19-20.
- Ms. Anjana N. registered for PhD in Botany under Calicut University,
Topic: Investigation of Physio-Chemical, Microstructure properties, and molecular characterization of special bamboos used in weaving by tribal communities in Idukki district, Kerala.
Note: This profile focused on the projects and publications associated with Bamboos by Dr. AV Raghu. If you would like to know about other research areas and publications of Dr. AV Raghu, please visit profile page of Dr. AV Raghu , published on Kerala Forest Research Institute (KFRI) website.